Sigi or Siki was an important town of Propontis with 4,000 Greek inhabitants. It was built in the SE of the Gulf of Kianos, 6 km from Moudania and 36 km from Prousa.Its inhabitants were engaged in shipping, agriculture (olives, vines, silk, onions), fishing and trade.
In March 1914, when armed Turks entered the village with wild intentions, the inhabitants immediately collected 50 gold lire, at the same time, however, another gang of cossacks entered Sigi shouting and shooting. In the incidents Turks from nearby villages with whom until recently they had the best relations, were also involved. The Sigians, along with other refugees (Marmara Islands), found shelter in nearby Derekioi (which had escaped the looting). After about a month they received an order from the Metropolis of Prussa to return to their villages. But on the third day of their return to Sigi, Turkish gendarmes on horseback and armed infantrymen invaded the village shouting with fury for the uprooting of the Greeks, while plundering and destroying the village.
After the armistice of 1918 the inhabitants returned to Sigi. On June 24, 1920 a part of the Greek Army from Apolloniada after entering first in Yali-Csiflik, arrived in Triglia and from there to Sigi. The Sigians then welcomed the Greek Army with warmth and students raised the blue and white flag in which was written in gold letters “HURRAHY THE LIBERATED MINOR ASIA”. In 1922, after Greece was defeated in the Minor Asia war, the Sigians finally left their village and settled in Nea Moudania, Halkidiki, in Vathylakkos, Kozani (which was originally called Nea Sigi), in Thessaloniki and in other areas in Greece.
Source: Facebook group, Propontida, 28.01.2017